If you are planning to open a retail store in the near future, there is a lot to consider regarding the store design, and, of course, you do want to create an ambience where people want to stay. Store ambience has many components, and in this article, we will outline these.
- Design Concept – A good store design has a theme, which might be futuristic, contemporary or rustic, and the first thing to do when designing a shop interior is to come up with a workable concept. Every component of the layout would fit with the theme and you don’t need to hire expensive interior designers, simply read a few of the online articles about good retail store design.
- Sound – If you haven’t figured sound into your design, why not have some suitable background music? A quiet instrumental that just adds a little touch of something is ideal, and with a couple of small speakers correctly placed, the soft music will help to create a feeling of warmth.
- Lighting – The lighting in your store is a critical element of the ambience. LED spots are excellent and they use little energy, but give a high output, making them ideal for in-store illumination. Both task and general lighting need to be considered, and why not add some colour?
- Signage & Stickers – Many retailers totally overlook the fact that stickers can be used for other things, aside from prices, indeed, a decorative PVC sticker would cover an entire wall. Simply find a reputable label shop (called ร้านทําป้ายสินค้า in Thai)and they would show you the many sticker options that can be affixed to any medium.
- Flooring – Hardy contract carpet is probably the best flooring for a retail outlet, which comes in tile form and that makes it easy should you ever stain the carpet. The other alternative is luxury vinyl tiles (LVT), which come in many timber, stone and slate finishes, plus vinyl is hardwearing and impervious to liquid, plus it is very easy to keep clean and doesn’t require deep cleaning like carpet.
- Layout – It is important to have sufficient space for people to be able to walk around without bumping into each other, especially with social distancing, and if you would like some help with layout design, the Internet is full of free resources that should give you the inspiration you are looking for.
One idea is to spend a few hours at your local shopping mall and when inside a store, how does it make you feel? If you plan correctly, your store interior should be balanced, with a warm and inviting feeling.